In order to truly make a difference within our community, it is essential that those in need are equipped not only with food and clothing (from our food banks and shops), but with an ability to later continue to provide for themselves. That is where our social worker Kim comes in offering welfare support.
Our full time social worker based in our Newtown office (Wellington) and is here to help you take the necessary steps. She can assist you with budgeting, advice and acts as a first point of contact to get help–whatever the problem might be. She is here to be on your side.
Social work help includes, but is not limited to:
- Long term support/short term support
- Checking your entitlements (such as with Work and Income)
- Budgeting Tactics
- Short term support
- Allocations of free food (from our local food bank)
- Allocations of free clothing as needed
- Allocations of free furniture as needed
- Help you make the next step
Our Social Worker can also advocate on your behalf to various agencies such as:
- Work and Income: travelling out to Work and Income can be daunting when you are on your own and not sure exactly what to expect. We are available to go with you to your Work and Income meeting, make phone calls and give you general support in your deals so that you can be sure your voice is heard. Ensuring you are getting your full entitlements
- Ministry of Justice: we offer support when dealing with the Ministry of Justice so that you can feel confident in the outcomes. We are available to go to your meetings at the Ministry of Justice with you.
- Fines: help you to understand what the fines are and why they are there. We will fight to make sure they are only justly applied.
- Housing: we work with both Wellington City Council and Housing New Zealand to help you find suitable housing quickly. We understand that this is a basic need and work to find solutions for you. We are available to phone or email them and can support you in your dealings with various housing agencies. If you need low-income housing, you have come to the right place.
- Child, Youth and Family: offering additional support, when you might be experiencing difficulty within your family.
- Debt collectors: liaise with you and them to figure out a manageable re-payment plan. We are also able to help make sure the situation does not repeat. Get out of debt, and stay out.
We have a special Home Services Support Programme in place which is especially designed to help you with your current housing related issues from home maintenance to other home related advocacy needs. Our aim is to improve the quality life of vulnerable individuals within the community.
The Social worker is available in:
Newtown (207 Riddiford Street, Wellington) Monday -Friday (8:30AM-4:30PM)
We have just started a new remote working welfare support programme called Vinnies in the Village, so that you don’t need to spend time and money on travel. Please make an appointment at one of the following:
Johnsonville Community Centre (3 Frankmoore Avenue) every other Friday morning (9AM-1PM) alternates with Newlands.
Newlands Community Centre (9 Batchelor Street) every other Friday morning (9AM-1PM) alternates with Johnsonville.
Strathmore Community Centre (108 Strathmore Avenue) every other Thursday morning (9:30AM-1:30PM)
Call 04-389-7122 or 02-2130-255 to make an appointment now.*
*If you need an interpreter, please let us know. We need about a weeks’ notice.